4 Books for Young Writers

Becoming, and staying, motivated to write is my biggest struggle. My procrastination comes from a constant worry that I’ll never be able to write at a professional level. After all, what’s the point in trying if there are so many more talented people in the world? I have to keep telling myself that this is a pointless insecurity. There isn't a finite amount of creative opportunities in the world, not to mention that continuously writing is undoubtedly the best way to improve my composition and boost my self-confidence. Still, I often go through periods of stress-induced creative blocks and I’ve found that the best medicine is a written masterclass from a professional. I’d love to say that my university degree in creative writing has equipped me with the basics and prepared me for the creative industry (more on that later) but honestly, the most valuable advice I’ve ever received has come from these following texts.  So without further ado, here are four books I’d recommend for any young writer, desperate to improve their craft.

They may be a bit battered but that's because they're well loved.


On Writing: a Memoir of a Craft by Stephen King
Every writer should have this on their bookshelf. I had been recommended this several times down the years and my God I regret not reading it sooner. Part memoir, part instructional guide, King gives an entertaining insight into his life before and after achieving literary fame alongside practical, straightforward advice on writing and the publishing world. I found the toolkit section and his timeline of the average writer’s journey to publication incredibly helpful.

How to Write Everything by David Quantik 
Quantick’s career has ranged from sketch comedy to journalism, as well as various fiction and non-fiction books, “and this,” he quips “by the time you read it.” This book covers pretty much, well, everything: screenplays, poetry, articles. It also features tips on jogging the creative mind and contacting potential agents. This was the first ever non-fiction I read all the way through because Quantick’s humour and down to earth insights made this a thoroughly enjoyable book that kept my fifteen-year-old mind from wandering.

Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke
Unlike my other recommendations, this one isn't technically a self-help book. 'Letters to a Young Poet' is a collection of letters from the early 1900's poet Rainer Maria Rilke to a troubled young writer, Franz Kappus, who is attending Rilke's former military school. Rilke dishes out plenty of sage advice but he continuously goes back to reminding Kappus that everybody feels desperately lonely in their twenties and there is no great rush to become a literary genius by the time he is twenty-five. In a world seemingly full of teenagers becoming multi-millionaire internet sensations overnight, I always need to be reminded to take my time to grow and learn. My favourite pearl of wisdom is: "and the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then, gradually, and without noticing it live along some distant day to the answer." Plus, Lady Gaga just named this her favourite book in her Vouge 73 questions video. If its good enough for her its good enough for us mere mortals too.

Little Black Book: a Toolkit for Working Women by Otegha Uwagba
Otegha Uwagba is the founder of Women Who, a community for working women in the creative industry. Though her Little Black Book is aimed at empowering women in the workplace, anybody could benefit from reading this pocket-sized wonder. She hands out tips on maximising productivity, networking, going back to education, asking for a raise and overcoming the daunting presentation. My favourite section is at the end, where she questions various prolific creatives on subjects such as maintaining a good work-life balance. I picked up my copy for £5, so it's not bad on the purse either.

Have you got any reccomendations? Let me know!

- Cat x 

Comments

Popular Posts